Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Top 7 Gaming Memories of 2012

2012 was a great year of gaming for me.  Lots of games played, lots of great people, and plenty of great experiences.  There are far more memorable experiences than space on this list, but these are 7 that really stood out for me.

#7 Thanksgiving and Christmas gaming with my extended family.  I was able to play a bunch of games with my cousins, and even an uncle who almost never plays boardgames.  It's great to bring family together and have some laughs.

#6 Customizing Star Trek: Fleet Captains.  I really enjoyed all the work painting the ships, creating the custom board, and doing something to make the game look really different.  The game feels so much more thematic with painted ships as opposed to the normal plastic.

#5 June in Los Angeles.  Being able to spend time with people I hadn't seen in over a year and play some games was a great thing.  Also helps that the trip served as a major turning point in the design of my current game.

#4 Day After Thanksgiving X-Wing Mega Battle.  8 hours of flying starfighters around a table shooting at each other.  It was a long day, but it was a very fun day.

#3 Wil Wheaton's Tabletop and BGG's Game Night.  Being able to watch other people play boardgames is something I find oddly enjoyable.  Sure, I'd much rather be playing games myself, but being able to watch others play and talk about it has given me some good opinions on games and if I'd like them or not.

#2 Watching people play my first prototype game.  It's been through a lot of changes, but there is something immensely satisfying about watching other people enjoy something you've worked hard to create.

#1 Monday night boardgame night.  This has been the highlight of my year.  There isn't any one specific night that stands out, but rather the nights as a whole.  I've met some great people, and learned a bunch of new and different games.

No comments:

Post a Comment